Advertising with exterior signs is necessary for small businesses, but it can be challenging. After all, you only have a very brief amount of time to get your information across and make an impression on passersby, especially if those people passing by are in a moving vehicle. Therefore, it’s important to make sure you are smart with the design of these signs, which will make your marketing more effective and ensure you are getting a worthwhile return on your investment.
Here are a few design tips for exterior business signs in Ottawa, ON that could help out your small business:
- Keep it simple: Remember: most of the people who are going to be passing by your sign are going to be doing so in a moving vehicle. This means they’ll need to be able to see and read your sign without having to put much effort into it. In other words, any text or messaging you put on to your sign should be simple, so that all it takes is a glance for people to get the message.
- Layout is crucial: Just like how you don’t want to cram too much text into a sign, you also don’t want to cram in too much in terms of design and layout. Filling a space and making a busy sign is a bad tactic. Less is more when it comes to the design, just like with the text, so make use of empty space and solid colors or gradients.
- Choose a focal point: Strategically choose the item on your sign that is meant to be your focal point. This should be the aspect of the sign that has the most significance and should demand the most attention. This will likely include certain branding elements, such as a company name, logo or slogan.
- Make sure you hire quality designers: For many people, the look at your exterior sign will be the first impression they get of your business. If you do not have design experience yourself, do not attempt to design your own signs and promotional material. Chances are it will come off looking amateurish, which could only damage your business’ image in the public eye. Going with professional designers instead will ensure you get attractive, high-quality signs and promotional items and will make a much better first impression on potential customers who pass your business.
- Color is important: Colors are important in signage, not just in terms of the colors you choose, but how you use them as well. There should be plenty of contrast between text and background colors so that the sign can be easily read from a distance. You should also not choose too many colors to put into your design, as that could make the sign look busy and make it harder to read.
Plastics and Signs of Ottawa is pleased to assist you with all of your signage needs, with a focus on cost-effective service. For more information about designing exterior business signs in Ottawa, ON, contact us today.
Many companies love to personalize their business signs in Ottawa, ON by creating unique company or product slogans. However, there are plenty of challenges and factors to consider when doing this, not the least of which is the amount of space you have to utilize.
Here are a few tips for creating a memorable slogan to put on your business signs in Ottawa, ON:
- Keep it short and sweet: Again, this is almost a necessity, given that you are working with a small amount of space and short attention spans anyway. But in general, the best slogans are simply those that are brief and easy to remember. Whether you’re putting it on a sign, on letterhead, in a commercial or on a bumper sticker, you want something that’s going to stick in people’s memories, and that means using few words.
- Be consistent: Consistency is key, whether you are a large corporation or a tiny family-run business. Any slogans you create should complement your current brand image, logo and company. Just because a slogan is clever doesn’t mean it’s a good idea for your company to use it—it needs to fit within your overall scope of marketing and branding.
- Use your unique aspects: What makes your company different? If you have any sort of branding or marketing strategy in place, you likely already have a few key differentiators you could list off. Make sure you use these when developing your slogans as well. You want any slogan for your company to be one that completely fits within your character, one that could describe the kind of work you do.
- Make sure it’s timeless: At some point you are going to want to change up your slogans just for the sake of freshness, but even still, as a general rule of thumb, you want your slogans to be as timeless as possible. They should not refer to current cultural trends or events, or any fads that will likely go out of style within months. Your wording should be able to stand the test of time.
- Consider whom you’re marketing toward: Your target market will play a big role in the kind of slogan you create. Your slogan is essentially your brand talking to your target audience. Therefore, you need to think of the kinds of tones and messages that resonate with your ideal consumer. If you are an international company, make sure the translation for your slogan also sounds good.
- See what others think: Consider testing out slogans on focus groups, friends, coworkers, customers or other groups of people to get some honest feedback about what they think. Maybe they have better ideas, or ideas to help you tweak your slogan to make it perfect for your company. You don’t have to go it alone!
Coming up with a good slogan can be difficult, but it’s a great addition to any business signs in Ottawa, ON. Contact Plastics and Signs of Ottawa today for more information!
Just about any type of retail business will use interior signage to help guide customers, motivate purchase decisions and advertise specific products. Whenever you decide to use interior business signs in Ottawa, ON, it is important that you put some time and effort into designing them well so they will actually be effective for their specific purpose.
Here are a few tips to help you create more compelling interior business signs:
- Make sure they get straight to the point: When people are shopping inside your store, their focus is on getting all the items on their list and finding what they need in the store, not on reading your advertisements. Therefore, any interior signage you use needs to be brief and straight to the point. There should be a simple image and very few words—just enough for someone to take in while they’re walking past an aisle or display.
- Choose easily readable fonts: Clear font characters are a must. Once again, you’re dealing with customers who have many other things on their mind while in your store. They must be able to take in information from signs as quickly as possible, which means you should use bold, crisp font characters, preferably without serifs. If customers can’t quickly read your messages, then they’ll quickly move on.
- Give them a reason to buy: Your interior signs should serve the purpose of motivating purchase decisions. Give a simple reason why they should buy your products. Clothing shops and department stores, for example, can focus on fashion, seasonal wear, comfort and any other number of reasons. Game stores might focus on bestsellers or new releases. It’s not enough to just say, “Here’s where you can find this product!” You need to give them a “why.”
- Test it out first: Before you put a sign out for permanent display, test it yourself. Make sure it can be easily read from an appropriate distance. Make sure it’s attractive and jumps out at you. If you are planning on putting the sign in your storefront window, make sure you can actually see it and make it out through the glass without having to strain. If you need to, you can go back and make changes.
- Make sure there’s plenty of color contrast: Another common mistake business owners make in terms of readability with their signs is not having enough contrast between the color of the background or image and the color of the font. Make sure there is a stark contrast between the two colors so that the words can be easily read by anyone.
- Avoid being generic: Make sure all of your signs fit within your brand’s personality. There are plenty of simple signs that work without reinventing the wheel, but you can always put your own twist on things to add a little extra personality.
For more information about how to design high quality interior business signs in Ottawa, ON, contact us today at Plastics and Signs of Ottawa.